Saturday, October 6, 2012

Top most things I hate about fandom.

Fandoms can be a great thing sometimes. They let you know that there are people like you who like the same stuff you like, and they let the creators know that they're creations are loved. Generally fandoms on the surface are a wonderful thing. But keep in mind...that is just the surface. In the deep bowels of any fandom you will find the dregs of society, the scum of the Earth, generally annoying people. And I'm gonna complain about them because I'm a nerd with now life! Let's begin!

(Special addendum, I am no longer numbering my lists as I find it confusing for me to choose)

A.) Mary Sues: Ah the Mary Sue. Apparently the name was originally used as a satire for characters of this nature but has since become the official term. Basically a Mary Sue is a character that is inserted into a form of fiction that is based on the fan author. This would be all-right if not for the fact that they actually make this character crucial to the plot. This could include making said character a love interest to a previously existing character, or giving them some god like super power that makes them the most crucial member in the story. Wish fulfillment is one thing, but screwing with a previously existing fiction is another thing all together.

B.)Franchise noobs: Now, if someone likes a later series or season in a long-running series like Star Trek, Doctor Who, or the Simpsons I'm okay with it. But what bugs me is how some fans won't even bother to watch the original episodes. They claim that the new series is their favorite not because they have seen any of the other pieces of the franchise but because this is the only one they've seen. And when you recommend to them to watch some of the earlier stuff, some of them act like your just being a stupid genwunner(I hate how I know that term)! What don't you have to gain from seeing the roots of your favorite series? It's like claiming you are a history buff but only remembered the years you were alive. It's just silly.

C.) Stupid complaints: Now I have nothing against complaining about things, hell it's my favorite pass-time. Personally I feel that if a person complains all the time it shows that they are aware of the world they live in. However, I don't like it when they complain about stupid things in a meta-series. Such as complaining about characters not wearing an article of clothing or wearing a new article of clothing, a lot these dumb complaints are about clothes. Or how they complain about the new protagonist being different from the original protagonist even if in their actually good as characters by themselves. In terms of not knowing what they're talking about, fandoms make a close second to the religious right.

D.) Stupid complaints about complaints: Yeah, this one is kind of weird considering the previous point but its something that needs to be talked about in any scope of life. Numerous times whether on message boards or real life you try to make a reasonable complaint about something in the new addition to the franchise. And nine times out of ten you will hear or read "*BLANK* is just made to make people happy! Just like this version of *blank* and stop being a troll!" Isn't that just the worst? It's one thing if they were to correct me for being wrong which I'm always for because it helps me learn as a person but just telling me it's wrong to me complain EVER?! So I complain, do you expect me to just bottle it up and not complain? That is how ulcers are made you ulcer wanting fuck! Sorry...I have just read this stupid type of comment a lot.

And the thing I hate most about people in fandom is-

E.) Being mean(this forum doesn't show this quality of course): This is the worst things about fans of anything, if you don't like anything they like they will treat you like shit! They will act like you are the worst possible person who ever exists! And what's worse...people will agree with their opinion and not yours. They will gang up on you and tell you that you are wrong, pressuring you into thinking what they think. It's bad enough I had to deal with this shit in school, now every other forum I got to has a bunch of posters who are the emotional equivalent of high school bullies!

And that's my top five things I find annoying aboud fandom. Agree or disagree, I could care less. Until next time, Hail Satan, praise Christ, but fuck Bhuda cos he owes me 50 bucks.

No comments: